Coming Soon! Historic Wakefield Manor circa 1850. This 5 bedroom 2.5 bath home is surrounded by farmland and pasture while only a short drive to all that the Westminster area offers. The beautiful and private setting includes a spring fed pond, stream, mature landscaping, wonderful front porch, smoke house, spring house, gazebo, and a large utility garage for all your needs. This wonderful historic property has many important improvements including newer septic system, hot water heater and slate roof. This is a well loved and maintained home with many original details present including five fireplaces, hardwood floors, and ten ft. ceilings. The interior will need cosmetic renovations. This is truly special property and not to be missed. Properties like this only come available once in a lifetime!
History of Wakefield Manor-Maryland Historic Trust
The Eckhardt Home, 1850 Old New Windsor Road, i.e., “Wakefield Manor”, “Brookeside,” and probably other sundry names is the first manor house of the Wakefield Valley area. Other homes in the area are earlier but were not built on the grand scale as this one was. It is c.1850, a time when houses were going up around the country in a more elaborate form than ever before. Money seems not to have been spared; all door arches are decoratively paneled, rooms are very spacious, and decorative brackets supporting the exterior cornice cover all sides of this L-shaped house. Fireplaces adorn every room, as well as the basement. Perhaps most impressive is the two-run staircase to second floor and attic. Fancy brackets are in wonderful condition, as is wide railing and balusters; all three details wind up two flights in fine curves. Second floor stairs are hanging stair.
This is a wonderful picture of rural grandeur of the mid-19th century, which serves as a farmhouse and manor house at the same time.
Statement of Significance
The home typifies the type built in the mid-19th century by a rich landowner and farmer. Evident that money was not spared with large rooms, high ceilings, decorative brackets under the cornice and staircase. It was apparently the manor house of a large family complex. It includes a spring which today feeds the house next door and barn in the back, as well as 1850 Old New Windsor Road. It is also rumored that troops stopped here, in the valley and used the home for a short “vacation” from war, which is probably true of most houses in the area built before or during the war.
Source: Maryland Historic Trust